The Russian painter Wladimir Georgiewitch Bechtejeff was born in Moscow in 1878. After training at the military academy he begins to study painting at the Moscow Academy of Arts in 1902. Acting upon the device of Alexej Jawlensky, he goes to Munich the same year, where he studies at the Academy of Fine Arts under Heinrich Knirr until 1905. He is a friend of Alexander von Salzmann and Adolf Erslöh and goes on journeys to Italy, Spain and Tunisia. Because of the friendship with Alexej Jawlensky, Bechtejeff's style becomes very similar to his way of painting as of 1905.
From 1906 to 1909 Wladimir Georgiewitch Bechtejeff is in Paris and studies at the Atelier Cormon. Returning to Munich, he at first shows works in the exhibitions of the Munich Secession, and joins the "Neue Künstlervereinigung München" (Munich New Artist's Association) as soon as it is found. Along with other artists he leaves the association in 1911, joining the artists group "Der Blaue Reiter" (The Blue Rider), in 1911-12 he participates in their exhibitions.
At the beginning of World War II Wladimir Georgiewitch Bechtejeff returns to Russia and is drafted by the army. His life as an artist and his promising career are suddenly interrupted. After the war he works for the monument preservation authorities, later he becomes art director of the Moscow State Circus.
In the 1920s and 1930s Bechtejeff withdraws himself for political reasons. He works as an illustrator and makes oil paintings, watercolors and gouaches. In 1941 he is deported to Siberia, from where he does not return before 1949.
Wladimir Georgiewitch Bechtejeff dies in Moscow on June 21, 1971.